CBD and Schizophrenia
Schizophrenia is a mental illness that causes people to seem like they have “lost touch” with reality. They may have auditory or visual hallucinations, paranoid thoughts, delusions, and other, more subtle symptoms. Schizophrenia does not usually present itself until later in life, although cases in children are not unheard of. Doctors have classified the symptoms of schizophrenia into three categories: positive, negative, and cognitive. Positive symptoms are generally unique to schizophrenia and do not normally present themselves in healthy people, while negative symptoms disrupt thinking and behavior. Cognitive symptoms affect thought and behavior. Many people are choosing to supplement their schizophrenia treatment with CBD – and while studies are still being performed, clinical studies have shown improvement in those suffering schizophrenia.
Positive symptoms of schizophrenia include:
- Hallucinations – Someone suffering from schizophrenia may suffer visual, auditory, olfactory, and tactile hallucinations. It is not unusual for those affected to experience all of these symptoms at different times, or more than one at any given time.
- Delusions – A very telltale symptom of schizophrenia is suffering delusions. A person affected by schizophrenia may believe that they are having a romantic relationship with a celebrity, or that they are a religious deity. Some individuals suffering from schizophrenia believe they have bizarre medical conditions that are very unlikely or do not exist.
- Agitated movements – Spastic, repetitive movements might signal schizophrenia. Alternatively, another symptom of schizophrenia
- Unusual/dysfunctional methods of thought from jumbled speech to not being able to follow conversations, those with schizophrenia tend to experience very disorganized thoughts.
Negative symptoms of schizophrenia include:
- Reduced expression – a sign of schizophrenia is a “flat” expression of emotions and tone of voice
- Reduced feelings of pleasure – Schizophrenia can cause symptoms of depression
- Difficulty beginning and maintaining activities – Individuals suffering from schizophrenia have a difficult time organizing their thoughts and following through with even basic daily tasks.
- Reduced speaking – those with schizophrenia may experience changes in speech, including ceasing to speak at all.
Other cognitive symptoms include:
- The inability to understand information well enough to make decisions
- Trouble focusing and maintaining focus
- Difficulties with “working memory,” or the ability to utilize information immediately after learning it
Keep in mind that oftentimes, an individual suffering from schizophrenia may be convinced that there is nothing wrong – the delusions to those suffering can feel very, very real. Recognizing the signs and symptoms of schizophrenia is imperative to the person getting help – especially if there is an episode that results in the affected person being hospitalized.
How CBD may play a role in alleviating symptoms of schizophrenia
CBD has antipsychotic properties and is currently being studied as a treatment for schizophrenia. A clinical study carried out by King’s College London showed reduced levels of positive psychotic symptoms than the control group after being treated with CBD for 6 weeks. Patients also had increased cognitive performance and better overall functioning. While more studies are needed, CBD shows great promise as a treatment for schizophrenia, an illness which is normally treated with prescription drugs that cause a myriad of side effects.
What causes schizophrenia?
The exact causes of schizophrenia are unknown, but there does seem to be a genetic factor. Risk factors include family history of schizophrenia, low birth weight, premature labor, lack of oxygen during birth.
Why Oil Well CBD CBD for Schizophrenia
At Oil Well CBD, we ensure the quality and legal compliance of our full-spectrum CBD by having each batch tested by a third-party lab. We believe in transparency and trust at Oil Well CBD, and ensuring that we control each aspect of our products from plant to lab to packaging ensures that you, the customer, gets exactly what is advertised.
This information on this page, including Oil Well CBD product, is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Always speak with your doctor before starting a new health program, including the addition of CBD oil or any other supplement, into your wellness plan.