How Much CBD Should I Give My Pet?
Because studies on CBD are still being done, many veterinary clinics are not able to prescribe full-spectrum CBD in place of, or alongside, pharmaceutical medications. Because full-spectrum CBD is primarily considered a wellness supplement, dosing schedules and amounts are largely up to you, the pet owner. You know your pets best, after all. You will also need to adjust for how your pet is feeling that day; some days they may need more than other days.
It is commonly recommended that you don’t exceed 0.5 milligrams of CBD for every pound of body weight per day. That would mean that a 50 pound dog could receive a maximum dose of 25mg of CBD if he/she was having a bad day. However, it is recommended that you start with a very low dose of 0.025mg per pound and work up from there to find the ideal amount for your specific pet.
When you begin to give your pet CBD, pay attention to them for the first couple hours after administering so that you can adjust according to their needs.
In our experience, most of our customers follow a guideline of:
- Low: 0.025mg per pound This might be considered a ‘daily dose’ for overall wellness, immune function boosting
- Average: 0.07 per pound: This dosage is commonly used for appetite stimulation, moderate digestive issues, moderate mobility issues like the early stages of arthritis, and lower levels of pain.
- Strong: 0.15 per pound Many pet owners find this level of CBD helpful in alleviate symptoms of epileptic seizures, cancer treatment symptoms, severe anxiety, and chronic pain.
This makes it easy to find out a ballpark amount, for any animal from rabbits to dogs to horses, which you can adjust according to their needs.
It is very important to note, when measuring, make sure you are looking at the amount of CBD in the product, and not at the weight of the product itself.
What kind of pet conditions might CBD help?
Full-spectrum CBD works for pet’s endocannabinoid systems largely the same way that it works for their human counterparts. Evidence has shown promise in alleviating some of the symptoms of the same common ailments in pets as in humans.
Full-spectrum CBD how shows promise in treating the following conditions in pets:
- The side effects of cancer treatment
- Epilepsy and other seizure conditions
- Skin allergies
- Loss of appetite
- Chronic Anxiety
- Situational anxiety
And many, many, many more less common conditions…
Pet owners must take care to ensure that supplementing with full-spectrum CBD is the best option for their pet’s wellness. CBD, like many other natural substances, has shown to have interactions with select pharmaceutical drugs. Always speak with your veterinarian before choosing to supplement your pet’s treatment plan with full-spectrum CBD.
How CBD can be administered to pets
Depending on the type of condition your pet is suffering, there are a variety of ways to administer full-spectrum CBD to your pet. Oil Well CBD Fine Cannabis Products provides the following products to ensure ease of use and accuracy when giving your pet CBD.
- Edibles – tinctures, treats of different flavors, depending on your pet’s preference.
- Drops – these can be added easily to food or into your pet’s mouth
- Capsule – full-spectrum CBD capsules can be placed inside of a treat or administered with a pill popper.
- Topically – used commonly for localized inflammation or skin conditions, full-spectrum CBD can be rubbed directly into skin in problem areas.
Full-spectrum CBD has shown both clinically and anecdotally to help show improvement in many conditions in pets. Speak with your veterinarian about incorporating Oil Well CBD full-spectrum CBD into your pet’s treatment or diet. While the dosages listed above are universally accepted as the proper amount to supplement into your pet’s wellness plan, always speak with your veterinarian to get the recommended dose for your pet.
This information on this page is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Always speak with your doctor before starting a new health program, including the addition of CBD oil or any other supplement, into your treatment plan.